Step-by-steps advices on how to repair Ball-type faucets.
Tools and materials
- slip-joint pliers
- flat-head screwdriver
- utility knife
- Allen wrench
- Phillips-head screwdriver
- faucet repair kit
- plumber’s grease
Step 1: Inspect the faucet
- The handle of the ball-type faucet rests on a dome-shaped body and is attached by a set-screw. Use an Allen wrench to loosen the set-screw enough to lift off the handle.
If the faucet is leaking from the base of the spout, use a spanner wrench to tighten the locking collar by turning in a clockwise direction.
If the leak stops once the locking collar has been tightened, no further repair is required. Just reattach the handle.
Step 2: Disassemble the faucet
- Shut off the water valves under the sink. Use slip-joint pliers to twist off the domed cap.
- Lift out the plastic cam and cam washer to expose the rotating ball. Take out the ball and inspect it for signs of wear.
- Inside the faucet are two rubber valve seats that form a watertight seal against the rotating ball. Remove the valve seats by snaring them with a screwdriver.
Step 3: Replace the valve seats
If the valve seats appear worn, replace them by lining up new springs and seats on the end of a screwdriver and carefully dropping them into place. Use your finger to press them in firmly. New valve seats should stop any leaks coming from the end of the spout.
Step 4: Inspect the O-rings
If the leak originates from the base of the faucet, pull off the spout and inspect the O-rings. If they appear worn, pry them loose with the hooked end of the spanner wrench. Coat the new O-rings with heat-proof plumbers grease, and pop them into place with the spanner wrench.
Step 5: Reassemble the Faucet
- Reassemble the faucet by putting the parts back in this order: spout, ball, plastic cam and cam washer, and domed cap.
- Tighten the collar ring with the spanner wrench and replace the handle.
- Turn the water on at the shutoff and check for leaks.
Easily find a qualified professional with Chatibot (http://m.me/chatibot) on Facebook Messenger