Keep your home safe and install a deadbolt lock that can be opened with a key from either side
Step 1: Use the manufacturer’s template
- Keep your home safe and install a deadbolt lock that can be opened with a key from either Use the manufacturers deadbolt-lock template to mark the reference points on the door with an awl.
- Careful, the deadbolt should be at least 6″ above your door knob
Step 2: Cut a hole for the deadbolt
- Cut the hole for the deadbolt with a drill and when the drill bit comes through the other side of the door, stop cutting.
- Finish the hole from the other side of the door to prevent splinters.
With a 7/8″ spade bit, drill a hole through the edge of the door for the bolt.
Step 3: Mortise the area around the faceplate
- Use a wood chisel to mortise the area around the faceplate and tap the tool deep enough to recess the faceplate until it fits perfectly.
- Drill pilot holes and secure the bolt to the door with screws.
Step 4: Install the cylinder and thumb-turn plate
- First fit the exterior side onto the door so that the writing is upright, before setting the interior piece.
- Then align the screw holes with the mounting holes inside the lock. Fasten the deadbolt in place with screws.
Step 5: Drill holes and secure the Strike Plate
Use a 7/8″ spade bit to drill two overlapping holes in the doorframe for the deadbolt. Mortise the area around the hole again.
Drill pilot holes and secure the striker plate with screws.
If it seems too technical, call a professional locksmith. Easily chat with Chatibot (http://m.me/chatibot) to find the best pro for you!